Tuesday, January 7, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 18: Credit where credit is due

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 18, January 7, 2014
Readings: Psalm 17, Genesis 18:1-15, 1 Chronicles 18, 1 Chronicles 19, 1 Chronicles 20, Luke 11:1-36

Have you ever wondered why David was lauded as a man after God's own heart?

This is pretty big stuff. Despite his flaws, to be given this title is very significant. And it's not because he slew Goliath, or was the king of Israel. It's because of the life he lived, day in and day out. In his lowest lows, he repented on his knees, begging for forgiveness. In his highest highs, he gave credit where it was due. To God. David knew that without God, his victories would have been defeats. His sacrifices meaningless. His life, forfeit. David gave the honor, glory and recognition to God.

Recognition. Even those of us who do not desire the spotlight, or a place of honor, secretly desire recognition. Appreciation. Knowing that our work, or our effort, is meaningful and valued. We can rest in the knowledge that what we have done is not in vain.

But this is a tricky subject. There are many times when we are given the opportunity to take credit that is not ours. To rejoice in the glory and adoration that we did not earn. For if we desire this recognition, this appreciation, and we must work for it, then we could also take someone's work. Take someone's glory. Add it to our account.


King David takes the opposite tack.

"Then David put garrisons in Syria of Damascus, and the Syrians became servants to David and brought tribute. And the Lord gave victory to David wherever he went. And David took the shields of gold that were carried by the servants of Hadadezer and brought them to Jerusalem. And from Tibhath and from Cun, cities of Hadadezer, David took a large amount of bronze. With it Solomon made the bronze sea and the pillars and the vessels of bronze.

When Tou king of Hamath heard that David had defeated the whole army of Hadadezer, king of Zobah, he sent his son Hadoram to King David, to ask about his health and to bless him because he had fought against Hadadezer and defeated him; for Hadadezer had often been at war with Tou. And he sent all sorts of articles of gold, of silver, and of bronze. These also King David dedicated to the Lord, together with the silver and gold that he had carried off from all the nations, from Edom, Moab, the Ammonites, the Philistines, and Amalek. (1st Chronicles 18:6-11)

The Lord gave David victory wherever he went. David could have done anything he wanted with that victory. Who would know where it came from? David amassed wealth, power, prestige, everything a King needs to rule. But he dedicated it to the Lord.
 
Everything I have - my health, my family, my friends, my job and more - these are because of the Lord's provision. It's in my hands what I do with it. Do I use it all for me? Or do I dedicate it to the Lord as David did? I need to ask - if I want to be a man after God's own heart, like David - am I using the victories that He has given me for my own glory, or for His?

 


 

No comments: