Monday, December 23, 2013

365 Days with God - Day 3

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 3, December 23, 2013
Readings: Psalm 2, Genesis 3, 1 Chronicles 3, Luke 1:57-80

 In light of recent happenings, I will refrain from posting yet another opinion on Duck Dynasty and the brouhaha surrounding it. However, it reminds me of a challenge that I face as a member of the human race: the desire for control of my own destiny.

I desire to control where I go, what I do, who I love - the list goes on and on. As an American, I am frequently told that I have no boundaries - the sky is the limit. And so we live, feeling as if we have the freedom to be unrestrained, unencumbered and not responsible.

This could not be further from the truth.

No matter the power we have, the wealth we amass, or any other factor - we are ultimately held responsible for our decisions. Two passages stand out to me this morning:

Then the Lord God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of us in knowing good and evil. Now, lest he reach out his hand and take also of the tree of life and eat, and live forever—” therefore the Lord God sent him out from the garden of Eden to work the ground from which he was taken. Genesis 3: 22-23


10 Now therefore, O kings, be wise;
    be warned, O rulers of the earth.
11 Serve the Lord with fear,
    and rejoice with trembling.
12 Kiss the Son,
    lest he be angry, and you perish in the way,
    for his wrath is quickly kindled.
Blessed are all who take refuge in him.
Psalm 2: 10-12

Our actions have lead to our toil. Working the ground is the consequence of sin, not the punishment for it. Our knowledge of good and evil is what has dragged us down. While we feel like gods, full of freedom, we are chained and bound by our supposed freedom.

But the second passage asks - what will you do with your freedom?

Those of us in the US are, by a majority, kings. We are free. We are wealthy. If you are at the poverty line in the US - $23,000 per year for a family of 4, you are richer than 98.65% of the world. We are kings.

But we are called to be wise. What am I doing with my wealth? Do I take refuge in the Lord? Do I serve the Lord, or do I serve myself?

I will be held responsible for my actions - and I am a king on earth, called to be wise. Am I?

No comments: