Saturday, December 28, 2013

365 Days with God - Day 8

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 8, December 28, 2013
Readings: Psalm 7, Genesis 8:1-19, 1 Chronicles 8, Luke 4:14-44

One week out of 52 done. Such a long road to go, but so excited for what will continue to come from this dedication to the Word of God. He promises deliverance and a refuge for my soul. Amidst all the chaos of work, two small children and the rest of what life throws my way, I could use some of that. And I know that others could as well. This time with God (and know that it is not always peaceful or interruption-free!) is a reprieve. And we need God to provide us with relief.

King David calls out for rest in Psalm 7:

Oh LORD my God, in you do I take refuge;
save me from all my pursuers and deliver me,
lest like a lion they tear my soul apart,
rending it in pieces, with none to deliver. (Psalm 7:1-2)

And that reprieve for the people of Israel does come. But it doesn't come in the way they think it will, nor does it come on their time line. Surely, minor rests come from time to time. However, these are always linked to the good kings, those who follow God. When they find themselves lusting after foreign gods, they find themselves in chaos. But God is faithful through his Son:

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, 
because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. 
He has sent met to proclaim liberty to the captives
and recovering of sight to the blind,
to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

And he rolled up the scroll and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed on him. And he began to say to them, "Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing."  (Luke 4:18-21)

Jesus is the rest & refuge for our soul. He came to meet every need. But like King David and the Israelites, we must wait for His coming. He fulfills us on Earth, but the ultimate rest & refuge for our soul will be when He returns. In the meantime, He has called us to follow Him - to set aside our personal preferences and seek Him daily.

No comments: