Friday, December 27, 2013

365 Days with God - Day 7


I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 7, December 27, 2013
Readings: Psalm 6, Genesis 7, 1 Chronicles 7, Luke 3:23-38, Luke 4:1-13

Today was, admittedly, a challenging read. 3 out of the 5 passages I read were genealogies, and We all know how interesting those are. These are the sons of so and so, and so and so...and so on.

However, unlike some recent mornings, this morning I was not reading in silence. I am surrounded by my kids, noisy, hungry, bursting with life and needing us for everything. They could not survive without us. And they are happy to see us. Delighted to show me the latest drawing on the window. Smiling when I pick them up. Eager for me to read them a book.

And in the chaos of the morning, I am delighted to know that they enjoy seeing me. And when I think about the generations upon generations of children, from Adam and beyond, and knowing that God considered it important enough to have multiple books of the Bible written to record their existence - I know that God delights in us too.

I also know that as my children grow older, they won't be as excited to see me. They'll wish I wouldn't come in to wake them up. They won't beg me to read books, or smile every time they see me. But what I do want them to do, and what I want to do, is to always be excited about God. He is my heavenly father. He delights in me. He relentlessly pursues my good, even if I don't understand it. As I grow older, I should grow closer to God, instead of becoming more independent. Because I need Him more, not less,  every day.

And I think that's what this whole 365 days with God is about. Because every day, I read His word. Every day, I ponder what He is saying to me with those words, and how I can change my life accordingly to become more dependent upon Him. 

No comments: