Tuesday, February 4, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 46: The Answer Above

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 46, February 4, 2014
Readings: Psalm 46, Genesis 41:37-57, 2 Chronicles 19:4-11, Acts 12

Have you ever been lost at sea? Literally or figuratively? I imagine that's a pretty scary place to be. Every direction you look is the same. What relationship do you have with north, south, east, west when there are no landmarks? No distinguishing features? The only option left is to look up. And, as ancient navigators know, that's where the answer was found - in the heavens.

Often in my life, I feel adrift. I am a naturally hard-charging person, committed to doing, and solving and strategy. But there are times when I stop and realize that I'm lost. That for all my hard work, determination and planning, I feel as if I don't know who I am or what I'm doing. Everything around me looks the same. The future is unclear, and the past, well, it's only led me to where I am, which is lost. As with the sailor at sea, my only option is to look up, to the heavens. To God, the one who is never lost.

God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
though it's waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble at it's swelling. (Psalm 46:1-3)

He is the rock I must return to. Even in the midst of being lost, feeling abandoned, feeling hopeless. The imagery in the psalm is incredible, something I will likely never see. Mountains moving into the heart of the sea? This is cataclysmic, world-ending type of stuff. Yet we do not have to fear because God is our refuge.


No comments: