Friday, February 7, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 49: Earthly Riches

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 49, February 7, 2014
Readings: Psalm 49, Genesis 44, 2 Chronicles 22, Acts 15:36-41, Acts 16, Acts 17:1-15

Have you ever wanted to be rich? To have all the things you want? Cars, houses, vacations, clothes...

Why do you want them?

What will they do for you?

What will you do with them?

Chances are, if you're like me, you want riches. Sounds nice. Sounds pleasant. But what would I do with them? Well, if I'm honest, most of the things on my list of "what I'd do with lots of stuff" is to use it for myself. I would drive the cars, I would live in the houses, I would take the vacations, I would wear the clothes...and when I look at it that way, me being wealthy, well, it just sounds pretty selfish.

Be not afraid when a man becomes rich,
when the glory of his house increases.
For when he dies he will carry nothing away;
his glory will not go down after him.
For though, while he lives, he counts himself blessed
- and though you get praise when you do well for yourself-
his soul will go to the generation of his fathers, 
who will never again see light.
Man in his pomp yet without understanding is like the beasts that perish. (Psalm 49:16-20)

It's definitely been said before, but it bears repeating: Wealth doesn't last. Doesn't fulfill, no matter how much the media and pinterest and everything else tells you that you're great if you're rich. In light of eternity, our 80ish years on earth are...nothing. And so is our wealth.

With that knowledge, what then shall we do? Our whole world is obsessed with money, possessions and power. Does your view of these things change when faced with God's word? Do your desires change? Your actions? Your passions? Your fears?

The last sentence is particularly telling - "Man in his pomp yet without understanding is like the beasts that perish." If we have wealth and power, but do not understand the principles of God, we are no better than animals! I believe history has shown that to be true. So - are you going to rise above? Are you going to seek wisdom and Godly passions? Or seek wealth and worldly wisdom?

No comments: