Saturday, October 18, 2008

Inkdeath

After reading Twilight, I've found that no book can capture my imagination and transport me to imaginary worlds where adventure and untold enjoyment lie. The lackluster I'm feeling towards books includes my recent visit with Inkdeath which, ironically, is about literally disappearing into a book's story. I LOVED the first two books in the series, Inkheart and Inkspell, but that was before Twilight came and changed the allure that books have for me. However, the spell that Twilight has cast over me, making all subsequent books seem dull and uninviting, has not made me want to read less. If anything, I feel compelled to keep reading until I can again lose myself in the wonder of a story unfolding on the pages before me.

Now, after disclosing my very unfair prejudice against all non-Stephanie Meyer books, I have to say that all-in-all, I did enjoy Inkdeath. While I didn't escape into the book, I did enjoy my visit there and found her writing to be tolerably enjoyable, but I think I may have to leave the genre of young adult fiction for a while, and jump back to the world of non-fiction and adult-ish books. Alas, while my young heart yearns for adventure, princesses, dragons, vampires, and other magical and creative creatures of the book world, I may be temporarily ruined due to Stephanie Meyer's ability to weave me into her world and leave me there, yearning for more words to sate the addiction that she's created. So, perhaps, my brain will just have to be sharpened by the brilliant intellect of C.S. Lewis a little more. If I can't disappear into a book with magical worlds, I might as well choose books that will make me think more deeply about God, life, and the meaning of the universe.

So wish me luck as I embark on this new and old adventure of the mind - seeking out truth where it can be found.

No comments: