Sunday, March 30, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 100: Of Certainty


I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 100, March 30, 2014
Readings: Psalm 100, Leviticus 6:8-30, Leviticus 7:1-38, Isaiah 5, 2 Corinthians 1:12-24, 2 Corinthians 2:1-11

So much in this life is uncertain. When we really stop and think about it, what is really certain? Can we guarantee that we'll live to see tomorrow?

It may sound morbid, or gruesome. But I say it to stress the importance, the gravity, of the things that we take for granted. Many of us even take our own lives for granted! I know I don't wake up every day thankful for my life. I trust that there will be food in the fridge. That my car will start. That I'll still have a job.

But none of that is certain. No matter how likely it is to keep happening, I can't guarantee it will stay. But I am willing to live my life as if it will. As if it won't fail me. So why can I not trust the One who is constant?

For the Son of God, Jesus Christ, whom we proclaimed among you, Silvanus and Timothy and I, was not Yes and No, but in him it is always Yes. For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory. And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee. (2 Corinthians 1:19-22)

Jesus is faithful. Jesus is constant. Jesus is the beginning and the end, the author and perfecter of our faith. My trust, my dependence, my obedience should be in Christ, the only thing that is guaranteed. The only one who will always be there when I wake up in the morning, providing my every need. When He says "Yes," He will follow through. There's nothing and no one else I can say that about with absolute certainty.

No comments: