Sunday, March 23, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 92: The Law of Christ

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 92, March 22, 2014
Readings: Psalm 92, Exodus 38, Esther 5, 1 Corinthians 10, 1 Corinthians 11:1

What does it mean when the New Testament says, "The Law has passed away"?

What rules do we follow now? What is required of us for salvation? How are we supposed to live? Or, if we ask the question that was asked of Jesus, "What must I do to gain eternal life?"

The truth is, we're looking for a checklist. Despite claims that we don't want to be bound by rules, that we want our freedom, our individuality, our rights, we want assurance. We want to know that if we do x, y and z, we get our ticket. To eternal life, heaven, paradise, whatever.

And we've been asking that question for a long time.

"All things are lawful," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful," but not all things build up. Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor. Eat whatever is sold in the meat market without raising any question on the ground of conscience. For "the earth is the Lord's, and the fullness thereof." If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience. But if someone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for the sake of conscience - I do not mean your conscience, but his. For why should my liberty be determined by someone else's conscience? If I partake with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of that for which I give thanks?
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to the Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. (1 Corinthians 10:23-33)

A common phrase amongst the Corinthian people in Paul's day was "All things are lawful." And interestingly enough, Paul does not refute this. He doesn't stop them and say "No, wait, there's a list of rules!" He says, "Not all things are helpful. Not all things build up." "Do everything to the glory of God." "Seek the good of your neighbor."

This is our checklist. Not specific enough? Good. Then you need God to show you how to do it. Then you can't rely on yourself. Then you can't just check a box. God did it this way on purpose! He wants a relationship with you, not a list of rules! What if your spouse gave you a checklist to make them happy? Would that really seem like a relationship? Or would it seem controlling? While it might sound nice to feel like you could just do xyz and be fine, the reality is, life and relationships are so much more than a checkbox. So much more than a list of rules. Who is God asking you to be?

No comments: