Tuesday, March 11, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 81: A Yearning God

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 81, March 11, 2014
Readings: Psalm 81, Exodus 26, Nehemiah 7, Romans 16

I never think of God as wanting something. I don't imagine him longing after anything in particular. He's God, right? He can have all he needs and wants, right?

I am the LORD your God,
who brought you up out of the land of Egypt.
Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.

But my people did not listen to my voice;
Israel would not submit to me.
So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts,
to follow their own counsels.
Oh, that my people would listen to me,
that Israel would walk in my ways!
I would soon subdue their enemies
and turn my hand against their foes.
Those who hate the LORD would cringe toward him,
and their fate would last forever.
But he would feed you with the finest of the wheat,
and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you. (Psalm 81:10-16)

God longs for our love and obedience. He doesn't need it, but he longs for it. Elsewhere it is said that He longs to gather Israel as a hen gathers her chicks under it's wings. God passionately desires our hearts. But this is not a selfish desire, no! God desires our affection and attention so that He can give us His best! Everything He has is at hand, to restore and renew His people.

Remember though, this is not a give love -> receive prosperity contract. God is not promising us what we want. He is promising to satisfy us. To love us. To save us from our enemies (which is sometimes ourselves and the things we want!) God is infinite, glorious. God yearns for you and I to turn and love Him. To seek Him.

Are you listening? Or are you deaf - stubborn and foolish, chasing after only your own desires? All too often I think I put God on my level - as if He can be bargained with. As if He is limited. He is unlimited. He is amazing. He desires only to love you wholly, and for you to love Him to the best of your abilities. He as already demonstrated His willingness to reach out to us with His best - His son. How will you respond?

No comments: