Wednesday, March 12, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 82: Unity

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 82, March 12, 2014
Readings: Psalm 82, Exodus 27, Nehemiah 8, 1 Corinthians 1:1-17

What ties you to other people? Is it family? Shared interests and hobbies? Geographic location? Sports teams? Church?

What if someone you never met called you "brother?" What would you think? How do you think you'd respond?

I appeal to you, brothers, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgement. For it has been reported to me by Chloe's people that there is quarreling among you, my brothers. What I mean is that each one of you says, "I follow Paul," or "I follow Apollos," or "I follow Cephas," or "I follow Christ." Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? (1st Corinthians 1:10-13)

If you belong to the Church of Christ, you are family, brothers and sisters with all the other Christians around the world. What does that mean to you? How would you treat your family if they were hungry? Sick? Homeless? How would you resolve conflict between yourself and a loved one? Would you try to take advantage of them if the opportunity arose?

Not only that, but who do you really follow? Surely, we have dynamic leaders here on earth. Paul was one of them. He was, perhaps, the greatest evangelist that ever lived. But he was not building and promoting the Church of Paul. He was building and promoting the Church of Christ. We do not follow a person, or a doctrine, except for the person of Jesus and the Bible that He wrote.

What things in your life can you think of where you're following a person or an ideology more than God?

No comments: