Thursday, March 6, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 76: This is How We Do It

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 76, March 6, 2014
Readings: Psalm 76, Exodus 21:12-36, Exodus 22:1-15 Nehemiah 2, Romans 12

I never realized until recently how much I just didn't "get it." I have been a very "black and white" person for most of my life, with very little room for grey. I didn't think in the grey, and I didn't act in the grey. There was right, and there was wrong, and it was cut and dry.

The older I get, the more I realize I'm wrong.

Yes, there is right and wrong. That part hasn't changed. What I do with it is what has changed. How I perceive it. How I treat it. How I treat the person who is doing right or wrong. What is God asking me to do in regards to others?

Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. (Romans 12:14-18)

Now that is pretty black and white. Pretty clear. But when the world thinks of Christians, do you think this is what they see? Do they see a people group who are known for living "peaceably with all"? Quite the contrary. At best, I think they think of a group of people who are no different. At worst, a people who are bigoted, hateful and angry.

So what can we do to change that? Luckily, Paul covers that before he gets to the end. Bless others, even if they hurt you. Mourn with those who are troubled. Live in harmony. Be humble. Live in community, together, loving and caring for one another.

This doesn't advocate living in a commune. This doesn't talk about sequestering ourselves away from the evil. Right where you're at, with your neighbors, your coworkers, your community, you can begin to love like Jesus. You can do this. We can change the world's perception of Christians, by living differently. What's one thing you'll do or change today?

No comments: