Sunday, March 23, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 93: Honesty in Relationship

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 93, March 23, 2014
Readings: Psalm 93, Exodus 39, Esther 6, 1 Corinthians 11:2-34

Have you ever heard the saying, "Don't let the sun go down on your anger."?

Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a person examine himself, then, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgement on himself. That is why many of you are weak and  ill, and some have died. But if we judged ourselves truly, we would not be judged. But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world. (1 Corinthians 11:27-32)

This is an interesting passage. But again, we are coming back to the relationship we have with God (or can have), not a list of rules we need to follow. When I am at odds with a person, it is very difficult for me to sit across from them at a table and be at peace. I can't continue to grow in our relationship until the issues are resolved.

God is asking us to think the same way about our relationship with Him. When we have wronged God, when we have sinned, He wants us to come back to Him. To restore and renew the relationship. It's not about confession, God knows what we have done. It's about being honest with ourselves, overcoming our pride. It's about working things out.

Since God is perfect...it's really about me working things out. Me learning what I need to fix in my life. Understanding how God wants me to change.  But if I am unwilling to come and ask God to fix my brokenness, to fix our relationship, we can't move forward until I change. Until I judge myself truly, judge myself against a perfect God who gave the ultimate sacrifice - living the perfect life and then paying my debt by death.

What do you need to be honest about?

No comments: