Sunday, June 1, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 159: Who Should We Be?

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 159, May 28, 2014
Readings: Proverbs 4, Deuteronomy 9:6-29, Deuteronomy 10:1-11, Hosea 6, Hosea 7, Titus 2

For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. (Titus 2:11-14)

What are we in training for?  What part of this verse says anything such as "For the grace of God has appeared, bringing good jobs, college education and a good retirement?" I don't see anything like that in there. What I do see is that we are to become more like Christ, forsaking the pursuit of worldly passions. God didn't redeem us so that we could live the lives that we want, enhanced by Him. He wants us to put aside our prior existence, and become more like Him.

How is God calling you to live a more Christlike existence? What worldly passions are you still clinging to?


No comments: