Sunday, June 1, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 163: God's Passion

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 163, June 1, 2014
Readings: Proverbs 7, Deuteronomy 14, Hosea 11:1-11, Philemon 1:1-3

First off, I'm taking a break after today.

But not because I need a break from God's word. I've been given the privilege of speaking on Isaiah on June 15th, and I will be taking these next two weeks to prepare. I'll be in Isaiah daily, preparing for this message, and so I will put my regular reading on hold. Check back after June 15th, when I'll continue! On to my last thoughts before the break:

What is the constant message of God throughout the prophets? God's passion and love for His people. He never gives up on them, never casts them aside. God laments over our pain. He laments over our rebellion. God is not unemotional about us. He cares deeply for us, even in the middle of our worst rejection of Him. And He will do anything to get us back.

How can I give you up, O Ephraim?
How can I hand you over, O Israel?
How can I make you like Admah?
How can I treat you like Zeboiim?
My heart recoils within me;
my compassion grows warm and tender.
I will not execute my burning anger;
I will not again destroy Ephraim;
for I am God and not a man,
the Holy One in your midst,
and I will not come in wrath.

They shall go after the LORD;
he will roar like a lion;
when he roars,
his children shall come trembling from the west;
they shall come trembling like birds from Egypt,
and like doves from the land of Assyria,
and I will return them to their homes, declares the LORD. (Hosea 11:8-11)

No comments: