Friday, June 20, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 167: Stupid...it's in the Bible

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 167, June 19, 2014
Readings: Proverbs 11, Proverbs 12, Deuteronomy 18, Amos 2:6-16, Matthew 1:1-17

It always seemed a rather odd statement for a book that is as seemingly reverent as the Bible. Kinda stands out.

Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge,
but he who hates reproof is stupid. (Proverbs 12:1, ESV)

The Amplified Bible makes it even more dire:

Whoever loves instruction and correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is like a brute beast, stupid and indiscriminating. (Proverbs 12:1, AMP)

This is something I need to work on. Because if asked, would I truthfully be able to say that I love discipline? No. I don't. I think I can say that I've grown to the point where I appreciate the end result of discipline, but it is still very hard for me to see and accept the disciplinary process that concludes in an increase of my knowledge and understanding.

But we see this kind of arrogance all the time. Children (and sadly, many adults) who are convinced that they have it all figured out. That they have nothing left to learn. That nothing and no one could tell them what to do or how to act. As if there was nothing left for them to learn. As if they had it all figured out.

But none of us do, do we? None of us know everything, or are perfect in all our ways. Only God is. And he greatly desires that we should grow in wisdom and understanding, to know Him more. And sometimes, discipline is the way that He teaches this to us. So will we be lovers of God, growing as he teaches us? Or will we be brute beasts?

No comments: