Sunday, June 1, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 161: Foolish Controversies

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 160, May 30, 2014
Readings: Proverbs 6:1-19, Deuteronomy 12, Hosea 9, Titus 3:8-11

The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people. But avoid foolish controversies, genealogies, dissensions, and quarrels about the law, for they are unprofitable and worthless. (Titus 3:8-9)

Ever wondered why there are so many denominations? So many different perspectives on believing in the same God? God calls us to be devoted to good works, works that are excellent and profitable for people. Is that what we're doing as a church? Or are we splitting on other issues? Are we arguing about things that have no benefit?

Are we as passionate about broken, hurting people as we are about various doctrinal issues? Who do people see us as? Do they see us as a group of people who are dedicated to serving others, or as a group of people who are bickering about things that don't really matter? What group would you want to be a part of?

No comments: