Wednesday, April 9, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 109: Approval

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 109, April 8, 2014
Readings: Psalm 109, Leviticus 15, Isaiah 19, Isaiah 20, Galatians 1:1-10

I seek approval every day. I want to be loved by my wife, recognized by my coworkers, appreciated by my children and respected by others. There are many things I do in seeking this approval as well - words I say, things I do, attitudes I have. But more than all of these is my attitude towards God, my words towards God, my actions in response to God.

Because who do I really care about? There will be times when my actions, attitude and words can either please God, or please men. Who do I care about more? What really matters? And what becomes my default? When I am faced with a decision where an immediate judgement call is needed, who do I try to please first?

For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. (Galatians 1:10)

Paul keeps it pretty short and sweet, and makes a definitive claim: If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ. They are mutually exclusive. You can either serve Christ, or please man. Man's desires will always be contrary to the work of Christ. Since the beginning, humanity has been trying to wrest control from God and put it in their own hands. And who we serve and how we serve is just another extension of this.

Who will you serve today? How will your actions reflect the redemptive work Christ has done in your life? What will you do when faced with the option of serving man or serving God?

No comments: