Thursday, April 24, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 125: Reality

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 125, April 24, 2014
Readings: Psalm 124, Numbers 5, Isaiah 41, Philippians 1:27-30, Philippians 2:1-11

As we look at the week, we are both excited and dismayed. Each day is full: work, kids, bible studies. Each evening is the same. Sunday night we realized that we would have no time that wasn't filled until the following Sunday. What happened to the days when we didn't know how we would pass the hours? When a random beach trip seemed not only possible, but likely?

But those days were often meaningless, selfish, filled with things that only benefited us. Things that don't last. Hours in front of a TV or computer screen for nothing other than to waste the hours. While I wouldn't have put it that way at the time, I can see it now for what it was - mindless indulgence in nothingness. And I don't want that anymore.

Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in the spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God. For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now hear that I still have. (Philippians 1:27-30)

Our life was not often "worthy of the gospel of Christ." But in this busiest of weeks, we are on our knees for our family. We are building relationships with friends. We are crashing into bed each night, exhausted from doing the work of the gospel. And God knows what we need. He has slowed us down when we take on too much. Provided answers when we had none. Woken us up in the middle of the night to pray.

Is it suffering? Perhaps, though not on the scale that many around the world suffer for His name. Is it hard? Yes - sometimes my selfish self asks, "what about me? where's my free time?" But it is good. It is for the gospel. It is a life dependent on the Spirit. And I pray that it will never end until we are with Him in heaven.

No comments: