Wednesday, April 23, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 124: The Reality of My Weakness

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 124, April 23, 2014
Readings: Psalm 123, Numbers 3, Numbers 4, Isaiah 40, Philippians 1:1-26

I am confronted with this today in a real way, as I sit in the Starbucks, listening to a daughter relay tales to her father. Talking about his days in high school when he played football. Remembering the past, when he would run. When he was young. When he had dreams, ambition and hopes for a future.

But today, as the rain drizzles down the windows and the wind beats on the leaves of the trees, his glory days have passed. Instead of running freely, he uses a walker, and moves slowly, deliberately, without the reckless abandon of youth. He is powerless, as are we all, over the toll of time.

A voice says, "Cry!" 
and I said, "What shall I cry?"
All flesh is grass,
and all it's beauty is like the flower of the field.
The grass withers, the flower fades
when the breath of the LORD blows on it;
surely the people are grass.
The grass withers, the flower fades,
but the word of our God will stand forever. (Isaiah 40:6-8)

I am in my youth, relatively speaking. I have hopes, dreams and ambitions. I often move without precision, my actions are not calculated to prevent falls. But I too, will one day be sitting with my daughters, moving slowly, needing assistance. And there is nothing I can do to prevent it. The scene that plays out before me may seem so far away, but it is not. And I am powerless to stop it.

My prayer today is that I do as much as I can with the time that I have. That I bow before my Creator in honest submission, acknowledging His sovereignty and putting myself in His hands. Knowing that I have a future that He has prepared for me, that will never end. Knowing that all my accomplishments for myself, all my desires will fade away, but the word of God is forever.  My time, my efforts, my passions should be for Him and Him alone, for He is the only thing eternal and everlasting.

No comments: