Friday, April 18, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 119: Trust

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 119, April 18, 2014
Readings: Psalm 119:1-88, Leviticus 25, Isaiah 33, Isaiah 34, Ephesians 4

The LORD spoke to Moses on Mount Sinai, saying, "Speak to the people of Israel and say to them, 'When you come into the land that I give you, the land shall keep a Sabbath to the LORD. For six years you shall sow your field, and for six years you shall prune your vineyard and gather in it's fruits, but in the seventh year there shall be a Sabbath of solemn rest for the land, a Sabbath to the LORD. You shall not sow your field or prune your vineyard.'

And if you say, "What shall we eat in the seventh year, if we may not sow or gather in our crop?" I will command my blessing on you in the sixth year, so that it will produce a crop sufficient for three years. (Leviticus 25:1-4, 20-21)

How hard it is to trust for provision when times are lean. Can you imagine what it would be like to have to completely trust God for your very life every seven years? Could you quit your job every seven years and trust that everything would be okay? What would you do?

God isn't asking the Israelites to consider this, he's building it in to their law. He is purposefully ordering them to make complete, utter trust in God a regular thing in their lives - not to be mean, but because we need to be reminded this often! We need to remember God's goodness and faithfulness.

I think this is God's way of asking the Israelites to give him more than lip service. Is it really trust if you just say you trust God? Don't you have to "put your money where your mouth is?" And I think that's exactly what God is saying. If you trust Me in your heart, you can do this. You can leave it up to me. And think about what that means for the Israelites! No work for a year, every seven years. A time to focus on family, and God. A time to remember who God is and what He's doing. This is a blessing. Rest.

How is God asking you to set aside your hesitations and trust Him? It might seem crazy - but God is big! He is able, willing and ready to provide for us when we need it. And He will most likely ask us all to trust Him in big things. What are you going to do when that time comes?

No comments: