Friday, April 25, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 126: A Common Struggle

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 126, April 25, 2014
Readings: Psalm 125, Numbers 6, Isaiah 42, Philippians 2:12-30

When I read this verse, the first thing that came to mind was my beloved grandmother. Dorothy on paper, Mimi to me and the other grand kids, she is someone that I would put at the top of the list of people I admire.

And she is not so "admirable" in a human capacity. She did not resolve any great mysteries, elevate herself to political heights, overcome significant barriers to achieve success. But she has something that very few people have. And it affects everyone around her, such that you cannot meet her without being affected by it, without wanting to be like her. What is it?

Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain. (Philippians 2:14-16)

Simple words, but not a simple request. Life can be hard. And I sure like to have someone to share my misery with. And that is the simply beauty of my Mimi. She does not grumble or complain. Ever. In fact, she has an infectious and sometimes maddening amount of positivity. But the peace and innocence this gives her draws people to her. And is an amazing sight to behold.

And this comes from someone who could complain about a lot. Whose wonderful husband had multiple heart-attacks and strokes, who would be paralyzed and live for many years this way. Who had to care for him and put her entire life on hold while he struggled, and she with him. I can't imagine what that would be like - and I really can't imagine going through it all without grumbling or complaining - asking God "Why?" But so she did.

And because of this, she shines. Oh she shines. Shines as she volunteers at her church, travels around the world seeing new places and meeting new people, shines when she comes to visit her grand kids and great-grand kids. Her attitude is such that I have never met another like it. And apparently others haven't either. Because nearly everyone I know who meets her wants to be like her. And it's all because she does all things without grumbling or (complaining.)

No comments: