Wednesday, April 23, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 123: Powerless

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 123, April 22, 2014
Readings: Psalm 122, Numbers 2, Isaiah 39, Ephesians 6:10-24

 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rules, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. (Ephesians 6:10-13)

I am reminded of this today. Standing there that evening, feeling the weight of the moment pressing against me as we prayed. Knowing that I was powerless. Knowing that my words were meaningless, my desires empty, my muscles unable to accomplish even the slightest movement. Helpless.

Helpless because I found myself in a spiritual battle the likes of which I had never been in. Helpless because, for the first time, I realized the powerlessness of my condition. That while I may be able to lift heavy things, travel long distances, overcome physical foes...that in the face of such adversity, I was at a loss as to what I could do. I could do nothing. And I always feel like I can do something.

But I couldn't. All I was left with was the name of Jesus. My all my knowledge, all my physical strength was as a blade of grass in a tornado. Bruised, buffeted and beaten, I staggered and fell upon Him. "Jesus, help. Jesus, do your will. Jesus, answer our prayers. Jesus, work in our hearts and lives." 

Notice the position we take here. Not an offensive position, but defensive. A position in which we are left relying entirely upon the might and strength of God to win the day, and his armor to protect us from the attack of the enemy. I am in hiding, I am in dependence, I am bowed before God. And that's exactly where He wants me to be. Not standing on my own righteousness, or power. But bowed before Him. And so I rejoice in my weakness, and revel in His glory. And trust that He will win the day.

No comments: