Monday, May 5, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 136: Pointless Labor

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 136, May 5, 2014
Readings: Psalm 135, Numbers 16, Numbers 17, Isaiah 55, 1 Thessalonians 2:17-20, 1 Thessalonians 3:1-13

What is the purpose of life? Is it to have a good job? A good family? Raise moral children? Be a good person? Make lots of money? Give lots away? Make a difference in the world?

All of these are good things, but is anyone truly happy chasing after these things? What happens when you don't have a good job? When your family falls apart? When you can't make money and the world is still falling apart, despite all that you do? Are you just not trying hard enough, or are you not smart enough, or is something else holding you back?

There are many good things in this world, but only One that can provide for all of our needs and can satisfy every desire. Only one that doesn't require endless labor that is ultimately fruitless and heartbreaking. Only God can provide. Only God can sustain. Only God and His purposes is worthy of being our ultimate purpose.

But his promises, his purposes, are so beautiful. So fulfilling. So much better than everything else that we could strive for. Why are we wasting time on anything else??

"Come, everyone who thirsts,
come to the waters;
and he who has no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.
Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread,
and your labor for that which does not satisfy?
Listen digigently to me, and eat what is good,
and delight yourselves in rich food. Incline your ear, and come to me;
hear, that your soul may live;
and I will make with you an everlasting covenant,
my steadfast, sure love for David. (Isaiah 55:1-3) 

No comments: