Monday, May 12, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 142: The Snooze


I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 142, May 11, 2014
Readings: Psalm 141, Numbers 26, Isaiah 63, Isaiah 64, 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12

A cry breaks through the foggy haze in my brain. My eyes slowly open, noticing the lack of light in our room. "It can't be late enough for our kids to wake up. Ugh, I hope they go back to sleep quickly." But the crying persists. I jab my phone tiredly, hoping to see an early early hour meaning I can ignore what's going on. But it's 5:45. Much earlier than I wanted to rise, but much too late to hope my child will sleep.

So I rise.

Unhappily I might add. Grumbling. Complaining. This wasn't in the plan. I sleep until 6:30, the time I need to get up to do everything I need to do and get to work on time. I'm nothing if not a planner. But there's no snooze button on an 11-month old.

This should be the prayer on my lips this morning.

O Lord, I call upon you; hasten to me!
Give ear to my voice when I call to you!
Let my prayer be counted as incense before you,
and the lifting up of my hands as the evening sacrifice!
Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth;
keep watch over the door of my lips!
Do not let my heart incline to any evil,
to busy myself with wicked deeds
in company with men who work iniquity,
and let me not eat of their delicacies!
(Psalm 141:1-4)

I'm tired. I have a headache. I planned to sleep 45 minutes longer. And I'm not happy that I have to stumble downstairs and do who knows what for 45 minutes, 45 minutes that I could be sleeping. Did I mention that I was in that ridiculously difficult to get to super comfortable position?

But I need to call upon God - to change my heart, to set me free from my frustration. 

No comments: