Wednesday, May 14, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 144: My Work is Meaningless

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 144, May 13, 2014
Readings: Psalm 143, Numbers 28, Numbers 29, Isaiah 66, 2 Thessalonians 3:6-18

 This is really hard for me to understand, and even harder for me to implement. It's as if I'm wired to believe that the work I do will equal the reward that I "should" receive. I want to believe that I can do something to earn my own salvation, that I can do something to be accepted, that I can do something to assuage my guilt for doing wrong.

But I can't.

Thus says the LORD:
"Heaven is my throne,
and the earth my footstool;
what is the house that you would build for me,
and what is the place of my rest?
All these things my hand has made,
and so all these things came to be,
declares the LORD.

But this is the one to whom I will look:
he who is humble and contrite in spirit
and trembles at my word." (Isaiah 66:1-2)

What can I make, what can I bring, what can I do that will pay God back for the wrong I have done? How can I repay him for the mercy and grace that He has shown me? I can't. There's nothing I can do. He has made all things and is in control of all things. I have to stop believing that I can control my outcomes, and instead trust Him to do it.

Because when I really think about it, that's why I want to do those things. If I can control my outcomes by my behavior, then I am in control of my life. My choices (even if they are good things) are not done because I desire to do right, but are done because I desire to be in control. But I'm not in control. And there's nothing I can do to force God to be satisfied with me either.

No comments: