Wednesday, May 21, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 150: America, The Tragic


I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 150, May 19, 2014
Readings: Psalm 149, Numbers 35, Numbers 36, Joel 2:28-32, Joel 3:1-21, 1 Timothy 6:3-21

He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain.

But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into this world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. (1 Timothy 6:4b-7)

Where have we gone wrong?  There are many ways to look at the state of America and wonder how we have ended up here. Why is there so much injustice? Why so much pain, hurting and strife? Why so much dissension and distrust of God?

I think Paul hits the nail on the head with this passage in 1st Timothy. We (and I include myself in this) often imagine that godliness is a means of gain. If I follow God's rules, He will give me wealth. If I honor God, He will give me prosperity and success. If I serve Him, my life will go as I planned it, with the right job, the right family and the big house.

We've chosen to ignore the second part of this: godliness with contentment is great gain. We only stand to gain when we are content. But not in the way we think of gain. We think of riches and prosperity. But in godliness with contentment, we gain heavenly riches that we will carry on. That will be eternal.

Next time you're planning on doing something good for God, ask yourself why: Is it for God, or is it for gain?

No comments: