Wednesday, May 14, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 143: Petition

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 143, May 12, 2014
Readings: Psalm 142, Numbers 27, Isaiah 65, 2 Thessalonians 2:13-17, 2 Thessalonians 3:1-5

When I'm weary, my tendency is to turn to things that I think will make me happy. I want to check out with TV, read a book, get away from it all. But how often does God enter that picture?

It's hard for me. It's easier to think that by escaping, so to speak, that I will find relief. It's easy to think that if I could just disconnect from that which is causing me stress, I'll be free from it. But it hounds me. It chases me. Even in my rest, as soon as I put down the book, return home from vacation, turn off the TV, the stressors return. They are relentless.

And so I need to do that which does not fail. Turn to the never-ending wellspring that is God. To stop thinking that by merely avoiding my troubles, I can somehow become refreshed. I need to remember David's cries.

I cry to you, O LORD;
I say, "You are my refuge,
my portion in the land of the living."
Attend to my cry,
for I am brought very low!
Deliver me from my persecutors,
for they are too strong for me!
Bring me out of prison,
that I may give thanks to your name!
The righteous will surround me,
for you will deal bountifully with me. (Psalm 142:5-7)

No comments: