Tuesday, May 27, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 157: Bigger

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 157, May 26, 2014
Readings: Proverbs 3:13-20, Deuteronomy 7, Hosea 3, Titus 1:1-4

Sometimes, the promises of God seem a little...crazy. Like if I actually imagine them happening, it's pretty silly. But also amazing.

"If you say in your heart, 'These nations are greater than I. How can I dispossess them?' you shall not be afraid of them but you shall remember what the LORD your God did to Pharaoh and to all Egypt, the great trials that your eyes saw, the signs, the wonders, the mighty hand, and the outstretched arm, by which the LORD your God brought you out. So will the LORD your God do to all the peoples of whom you are afraid. Moreover, the LORD your God will send hornets among them, until those who are left and hide themselves from you are destroyed. You shall not be in dread of them, for the LORD your God is in your midst, a great and awesome God. (Deuteronomy 7:17-21

He'll send hornets. That stopped me as I read. It's a unique (and terrifying) thought. God is our good father, relentlessly pursuing our good. Note that it says nothing about making your ideals come true - this isn't about God the genie. It's about God who will stop at nothing to protect His children, and to help them grow. God is not absent, he is not lax about us.

And we should not forget it! How often do we ponder the mighty works of God? How often do we stand in wonder of the amazing things He has done for us? How he has provided everything we need, through no goodness of our own. How often are we secure in our lives, knowing who our God is? Who our Father is?

No comments: