Saturday, May 24, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 154: Forget God?


I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 154, May 23, 2014
Readings: Proverbs 1:20-33, Deuteronomy 4, Jonah 4, 2 Timothy 3:1-9

I think the only movies I see anymore are kid movies. I don't have time for others, and a lot of them seem to be junk anyway. And so, this is how I found myself watching Prince of Egypt last night, and it was oddly close to me because of where I'm at in this journey through the bible.

But at the end of it, Elisha and I kept coming back to the same place. How could the Israelites turn away from God? How could these people, who have seen amazing things from their God, their Deliverer, and yet they beg Moses to return them to Egypt. They never really believed, despite all that they had seen. They were so hard-hearted that they forsook the Promised Land because of their unbelief.

Even though again and again, Moses reminded them to not forget.

"Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children's children - how on the day that you stood before the LORD your God at Horeb, the LORD said to me, 'Gather the people to me, that I may let them hear my words, so that they may learn to fear me all the days that they live on the earth, and that they may teach their children so.'" (Deuteronomy 4:9-10)

Are we forgetting the things we have seen and experienced? The grace God has shown us? The things he has provided us with? While it may not be as stark in contrast as the exodus from slavery, they still forgot. Even with all that, they forgot. Should we not be diligent? Should we not remind ourselves constantly of who our God is? What He has done for us? How he loves us?

No comments: