Friday, May 9, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 140: No Use Arguing


I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 140, May 9, 2014
Readings: Psalm 139, Numbers 23, Numbers 24, Isaiah 60, 1 Thessalonians 5:23-28

I am reminded of my daughter this morning. As soon as she learned that she could ask for something, she did, and it has never ended. On one hand, I love that she asks for things. It makes it so much easier to respond to a request - instead of the pointing, grunting, crying that was the norm before she learned to ask.

But as with all child-rearing things, it is both a blessing and a curse. Because now that she asks, she asks repeatedly. Ask Dad. If he doesn't respond favorably, ask Mom (even though we always back each other up.) If Mom doesn't respond favorably, ask any Grandma or Grandpa that happens to be near. If all else fails, repeat.

And the repeating gets old. But we're mot much different as adults, are we? We continually ask God for the same things - over and over again. And just as we are able to give our children ice cream whenever they ask for it, God is able to give us whatever we ask for. But He also has a reason for saying yes or no - just as we do when asked for something by our children.

But nonetheless, we try. And ask again and again. And even though I say I'd be satisfied if God just told me audibly, I don't think that would be the case. Just as it wasn't for Balak, when he asked Balaam (a prophet of God) to curse the Israelites for him. God said no. Repeatedly. And this was Balak's response:

And Balak's anger was kindled against Balaam, and he struck his hands together. And Balak said to Balaam, "I called you to curse my enemies, and behold, you have blessed them these three times. Therefore now flee to your own place. I said, 'I will certainly honor you,' but the LORD has held you back from honor." And Balaam said to Balak, "Did I not tell your messengers whom you sent to me, 'If Balak should give me his house full of silver and gold, I would not be able to go beyond the word of the LORD, to do either good or bad of my own will. What the LORD speaks, that I will speak'? (Numbers 24:10-14)

Sometimes, God answers, "No." Sometimes, He says, "Yes." Sometimes, He says, "Not yet." But our response shouldn't be to keep asking. Our response shouldn't be to go elsewhere to get what we want. We cannot persuade God - and to go elsewhere for what He says no to is sin.

No comments: