Friday, May 16, 2014

365 Days with God - Day 147: A Lesson She Should Learn

I'm giving myself a challenge. Read the Bible each day for a whole year, following the ESV Study Guide 1-year plan. Each day, I will post whatever God has revealed to me in His Word, and how it is changing me. A friend of mine once said that nothing has changed her life as much as reading the bible each day - and I'm excited for how this will change me. Join me on an adventure into the heart of God - and day by day, we can learn more about who He is and what that means to us!

- Andy Catts

Day 147, May 16, 2014
Readings: Psalm 146, Numbers 32, Joel 1, 1 Timothy 3

 Anyone who has met my daughter knows that she is obsessed with everything princess. The dresses, shoes, dancing, balls, books, hair, songs - you name it, if it's princess-y, she's into it.

But I know that one day it's going to shift, ever so subtly. Someday it's not just going to be about the fancy things. Someday all the background noise about a prince charming, the noise that is overrun right now by other things, is going to come to the forefront.  But I want more than that for her. And God does too.

Put not your trust in princes,
in a son of man, in whom there is no salvation.
When his breath departs, he returns to the earth;
on that very day his plans perish.

Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob,
whose hope is in the LORD his God,
who made heaven and earth,
the sea, and all that is in them,
who keeps faith forever;
who executes justice for the oppressed,
who gives food to the hungry.

The LORD sets the prisoners free;
the LORD opens up the eyes of the blind.
The LORD lifts up those who are bowed down;
the LORD loves the righteous.
The LORD watches over the sojourners;
he upholds the widow and the fatherless,
but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin. (Psalm 147:3-9)

This is the kind of Prince I want my daughter to be in love with, to long for, to search for. I want her heart to be given to the Prince of Life, the Prince of Peace, who gives abundantly and loves without limits. He is so much more than any prince charming will ever be - real or imagined.

No comments: